While it has always been a key factor in establishing leasing terms and in asset lifecycle planning, asset management has become essential to core business strategy and planning.
Alta’s Asset Management Practice provides consulting expertise and hands-on services throughout the life of equipment, from inspections and appraisals to portfolio management, residual risk analysis, end-of-lease consulting, and remarketing. The team includes qualified experts tested in court.
Practice leader Carl Chrappa has decades of industry experience and is often retained as an expert witness in legal cases and for litigation support. He is the author of A Leasing Company’s Guide to Equipment Management, and the Equipment Leasing and Finance Association study, “What’s Hot, What’s Not.” The practice also draws on the asset management expertise of Kimberly A. Esposito and other Alta specialists.
Banks, captives and independent financing companies rely on Alta’s asset management professionals. Our global resources enable us to serve the largest multinational companies in our industry and provide valuable insight to new entrants.
INTENSIVE • THOROUGH • PRECISE
Not the traditional “quality assurance” or “due diligence” you may have in mind.
Alta professionals provide Business Quality Assessment for our modern times – providing leasing and finance companies (or those interested in entering the leasing and finance industry) with independent in-depth reviews, investigations, and analyses of company practices, operations, methods, compliance, and results.
Our Business Quality Assessment Practice offers:
• Confidential and objective investigations of business practices and methods
• Critical and numerical reports of lease and investment portfolio quality
• Deep reviews of acquisition and investment opportunities – beyond due diligence
• Reviews and analysis of industry best practices and performance
• Comprehensive investigations of reputational risks and non-financial obstacles
• Pre-audits in anticipation of regulatory compliance reviews
• Reviews and assessments of credit and underwriting standards and practices
• Reviews, revisions, and updates of legal forms and transaction documentation
• Confidential investigations of suspicious procedural or operational activities
The professionals in Alta’s Business Quality Assessment practice are experienced and seasoned experts in all aspects of equipment leasing, finance, and related businesses. We are neutral, objective, and discreet – providing the kind of comprehensive and independent findings that are most important in your business decision making.
Whether you’re entering into a new venture, seeking a tune-up of your current practices and methods, or in need of a fresh look at a problem situation, The Alta Group’s Business Quality Assessment experts can be of help.
Digital Business Advisory Practice
Today, executives considering digital technology transformation are often faced with legacy system complexities. Many of these systems are not suited to efficiently support the 2020 customer’s mobile and on demand requirements.
Alta’s Digital Business Advisory Practice is uniquely qualified with career equipment leasing experts in technology, change management and operational effectiveness. Our hands-on experience coupled with new technology research and supplier engagement enables us to provide our clients with independent perspective and advice unmatched in the industry. Our global reach and exclusive focus on equipment leasing and finance prepares clients to enter or expand in new markets and develop products such as Managed Services. We are helping companies better integrate current systems and prepare for the future.
System Selection for Equipment Financing
- Assessment and analysis of current operations and systems
- Development of “to-be” business and technology objectives
- Creation of functional and technical requirements aligned to your strategic vision
- Drafting of RFPs, software vendor/system recommendations and initial screening
- RFP response review, analysis and scoring
- Vendor selection, contract negotiation and implementation guidance
Digital Transformation Strategy
- Assessment of current digital capabilities and maturity
- Identification and introduction of new and emerging technologies
- Digital gap analysis and roadmap development
- Benchmarking to sector verticals and industry leaders and laggards
- Organizational alignment and human resource skill assessment
Systems Integration and Change Management
- Platform implementation program development
- Program and third-party vendor management
- Business readiness and change management
- Cloud models, security and compliance strategies
- Functional digital applications support or integration for back-office processes and customer facing transactions. These include CRM, auto decisions, E-Doc, life-cycle asset management, compliance, accounting and tax, financial reporting.
Equipment Leasing and Finance Software and Platform Supplier Services
- Equipment leasing product assessment and market-entry strategy development
- Functional and technical requirement benchmarking
- Product development roadmap
- Worldwide geographic localization expertise
- New customer implementation readiness and change management
Complex finance transactions can take unexpected turns—sometimes for the worse. If your goal is to prevail in leasing-related litigation, we can help with industry expertise, unparalleled subject matter knowledge and experience, international resources, and industry leading research and analytical capability.
Explore the links to learn more about our services for expert testimony, litigation support, alternative dispute resolution, and contract analysis and contract negotiation.
Brochures and Documents
The Alta Group provides:
- Defensible expert opinions and rebuttals
- Deposition testimony
- Trial testimony
- Strategic and issues analysis in all aspects of leasing and finance
With the knowledge and wisdom that can only come from years of hands-on experience, The Alta Group’s leasing industry experts provide the insight, skill, and depth of understanding you need when your positions are under attack. We have been in the crucible and can provide the support you need to carry the day.
The Alta Group provides:
- Due diligence structuring and analysis
- In-depth knowledge of industry standards and practices
- Current and extensive hands-on experience in equipment leasing and finance
Backed by meticulous research and analysis and extensive real world involvement in all aspects of leasing and asset-based finance, Alta can strengthen your position, support your legal team’s strategy, and help facilitate a favorable outcome.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Sometimes only an experienced and truly neutral third party can guide everyone to a mutually acceptable solution.
The Alta Group provides:
- Facilitation of difficult negotiations when the deal is about to close
- Mediation of disputes that arise during or after the lease term
- Arbitration of disputes in equipment leasing, secured lending, and asset-based finance
- Assistance with end-of-lease negotiations and workouts
- Development and implementation of in-house dispute resolution structures, mechanisms, and organizations.
Your problem deal need not drive you to litigation, no matter how intractable it seems. A more cost-effective resolution is at hand — structured negotiations and settlements under the guidance of leasing disputes resolution professionals from The Alta Group.
Contract Analysis & Contract Negotiation
Legal Services Endorsements
“Our law firm represents a large equipment finance lease company that is frequently involved in litigation. Paul Bent has served as either a consulting or testifying expert for us in several of these litigations, in both state and federal court. Paul’s extensive equipment leasing experience as both deal maker and attorney, provides a unique resource that has enabled us to formulate and implement winning strategies utilizing the extensive knowledge of a top industry expert. His dedication, professionalism and demeanor are exactly what you look for in an expert.”
Mergers & Acquisitions
Achieve targeted goals while optimizing your M&A activities and capital structure. The Alta Group’s M&A experts have decades of experience arranging more than 200 equipment leasing and specialty finance business acquisitions. Our specialists also can locate funding sources and additional capital for your company, as well as provide formal valuations.
Explore the links to learn more about our M&A services and related offerings: buy or sell side advisory services; funding management and capital raising; and valuation services.
Buy or Sell Side Advisory Services
Alta can help your company locate, analyze and negotiate with potential sellers or buyers; enhance the value of a business or portfolio; examine alternative exit strategies; and structure deals that meet the short- and long-term goals of your company.
Alta’s Buy or Sell Side Advisory Services include:
- Representing Owners in the Sale of Businesses and Portfolios
- Performing Acquisition Searches for Buyers
- Providing Analysis and Due Diligence Services
- Developing Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances
Due Diligence: Key To Strategic Acquisitions and Sales
Optimizing Value, Aligning Expectations
Due diligence plays a key role in any strategic acquisition. Done right and the seller optimizes the value of the organization and the buyer knows exactly what it’s obtaining. Both parties’ expectations are aligned. Executed poorly and the opposite often occurs.
The Alta Group provides unmatched, trusted due diligence expertise to both sellers and buyers in today’s challenging equipment leasing and finance industry.
Our principals have a combined 50+ years of experience in working with companies to both prepare themselves to be acquired, as well as help evaluate opportunities for buyers.
Alta Group veterans John Deane and Joe Nachbin together lead the firm’s due diligence activities on behalf of clients, tapping the knowledge of other Alta principals to work on specific aspects of an engagement as necessary.
Not only can The Alta Group provide the expertise in due diligence that many companies lack today due to downsizing pressures, but we also can devote undivided attention to the complex task. This frees your top executives and other key personnel from the disruption of the due diligence process, so they can maintain their focus on running the business.
For prospective buyers that may not have intimate knowledge of the equipment leasing industry, The Alta Group often educates buyers on key business attributes to consider when evaluating potential acquisitions.
Sellers: Presenting the Company
Much like a realtor, The Alta Group works closely with sellers to help them prepare for the potential sale of their businesses. We evaluate how to best present a company to prospects.
Our work includes carefully reviewing financial statements and other key documentation, credit and collections policies, portfolio performance and preparing reports that prospective buyers typically want to see. Transparency is key in these situations, for nobody likes surprises.
Buyers: Evaluating Opportunities
Depending on a prospective buyer’s needs, The Alta Group can manage the entire due diligence process or work with other service providers, including an organization’s accounting and legal firms, as well as investment bankers, to evaluate an opportunity.
Typical assignments include closely examining financial statements and other key documentation, evaluating various business processes to gauge efficiencies and evaluating portfolio performance. If there are any issues or concerns, we work with both parties to establish warranties and recourse steps to protect the buyer.
Funding Management and Capital Raising
Alta assists companies by identifying potential funding sources; helping negotiate lease funding and lines of credit; and arranging subordinated debt and equity financing.
- Lease Funding/Lines of Credit
- Debt and Equity Financing
Content Delivery Options
Classroom and workshop instruction
Customized content is delivered in a highly interactive environment that leverages technology and student participation. The interaction, depth of content, and course length provide students with clear knowledge of how to apply the content to their everyday activities. Students are provided with workbooks that enhance information retention and desired changes in behavior.
Customized, less complex content is delivered via readily accessible Web meeting technology that allows students to ask questions and share experiences. Instructor insights and presentation documentation enhance student application of the targeted concepts.
Online content is delivered on a flexible and as-needed basis to a large number of learners. Students learn fundamental concepts and gain an understanding of the environment in which they must function. Feedback is provided through testing options.
On-the-job performance is enhanced through Alta’s mentoring of executives and line personnel. Alta also can follow-up with students after the learning session, both in groups or individually, to cement an understanding of how to apply the content and reinforce desired changes in behavior. Mentoring is particularly valuable as a tool to increase sales effectiveness.
Alta maximizes the effectiveness of our clients’ professional development efforts by assisting with curriculum development, capabilities assessments, train-the-trainer services, and special projects such as creating online programs.
Tailoring Delivery to Your Specific Needs
The table above outlines some of the ways that Alta delivers professional development solutions to businesses. We also recognize that each client is unique. Alta can recommend the content delivery options and services that are most effective for meeting your specific business requirements. We encourage you to contact us to discuss your professional development needs.
Alta Professional Development: Equipped for Results
Alta has decades of industry experience and the collective strength of more than 90 consultants worldwide who are experts in every facet of equipment leasing and asset finance. Backed by the breadth and depth of our resources, Alta instructors have facilitated 500+ training sessions in more than 25 countries
over the past 30 years.
Shawn Halladay, the practice leader, has written equipment leasing publications that the industry has relied upon for decades. He continues to share his knowledge through teaching, speaking, and writing industry reports and articles. Shawn is joined by a team of facilitators with decades of hands-on leasing and presentation experience that translates directly into client benefits.
It’s an impressive resume, but only part of the value we bring to professional development engagements. Alta excels at identifying the needs and business requirements of each client, crafting relevant programs, and delivering top notch information for measurable results. Contact us to learn more about professional development services designed to meet the specific goals and challenges of your business.
Credit and Risk Management
Advanced professional development of credit and risk professionals can help to deliver increased profitability through improved credit quality and better-quality asset distribution. Alta, through its 20+ year exclusive focus on the equipment finance industry, is uniquely qualified to help provide your teams with the knowledge and direction needed to enhance your competitive advantage in the marketplace.
The Alta Group, led by its risk team and supported by seasoned professionals covering every aspect of equipment finance, can provide professional development in a variety of functional areas including:
- Credit Underwriting
- Credit Policy
- Portfolio Management
- Asset Quality Monitoring & Reporting
Accounting Compliance and Implementation
These proposed rules will have a marked effect on lessors’ business activities, financial statement presentation, financial metrics, internal controls, and lease accounting systems. As a result, lessors will need to revamp risk and asset management strategies, accounting processes, corporate governance, and marketing and sales approaches to continue creating value for their customers. Lessees also will have to rethink decisions about how to finance their equipment.
Alta’s Accounting Compliance and Implementation experts, backed by our full team of management consultants, can help you:
- Understand the new lease accounting rules
- Redesign customer strategies
- Develop appropriate business processes
- Maximize revenue recognition
- Assess and implement needed system changes
The primary mission of the workshop is to deliver in-depth professional education on financing and how it can drive incremental sales. It will educate your team on how to use financing as a sales advantage and will assist them in building an immediate pipeline of qualified deals.
Alta has successfully taught this material to a wide variety of manufacturers, resellers, and lessors, and post-workshop surveys indicate that sales representatives feel more comfortable making C-level calls on financial executives following the sessions. Sales representatives also gain significant insight on customer budgeting processes, acquisition criteria, and how to craft a financing solution that meets their clients’ specific needs.
The workshop includes business cases that allow participants to reinforce the key benefits of their instruction. The objection handling session provides sales representatives a forum to role play the key customer inquiries that may happen during the sales execution process (example: how to sell against cash).
Account planning and follow-on mentoring are recommended after the workshop.
The Alta Group, led by its sales support team, can provide professional development in a variety of functional areas to help you:
- Integrate financing into sales activities
- Increase sales effectiveness
- Improve sales leadership
- Influence your customer’s financial community
- Enhance customer relationships
Strategy & Competitive Alignment
Embrace New Opportunities with Market-Tested Advice
We’re assisting captives, OEMs, bank-owned leasing companies, independents, fintechs and industry service providers to identify and embrace growth opportunities, become the disrupter, enter new markets and create winning strategies
Working collaboratively with clients, we help them maximize their ROI for equipment leasing and asset finance operations worldwide – expanding sales channels and increasing competitiveness. Our consultants have deep equipment leasing and asset finance expertise and global insights to help our clients achieve their strategic and operational imperatives. We are recognized industry thought leaders, having advised some of the world’s largest captive and vendor finance programs, helped banks develop their managed services offerings, developed effective market niches for independents and supported fintechs in their entry into the equipment leasing space.
Having held senior executive positions within the financial services industry, Alta’s advisors have the specialized skills, deep insight, and real-world experience to respond to today’s challenges. We understand what it takes to manage emerging risks, and to create and deliver immediate value to clients.
We customize our consulting to provide strategy and competitive alignment services designed to help clients resolve problems, gain business advantage and achieve success. Services offered:
- Identification of Corporate and Business Unit Opportunities
- Vertical and Adjacent Market Assessment
- International Expansion
- Business Case Development
- Internal Capability Assessment
- Market Sizing and Competitive Landscape Assessment
- Market Entry Economics
- Joint Venture and Alliances
- Greenfield Planning
- Business Case Development
- Talent Requirements
Disruption & Innovation
- Understanding the full scope of disruptive forces
- Identifying strategic approaches to emerging opportunities
- Embracing disruptive innovation in corporate growth strategies
- Assessing organizational readiness to respond to changing market fundamentals
- Assessment of Current Funding Model
- Capital Demand Analysis
- Alternative Funding Structures
- Syndication and Securitization Strategies
- Corporate and Business Unit Implications
- Stress Testing
- Investment Community Messaging
Rating Agency Management
- Overview of Ratings and Rating Agencies
- Rating Agency Relationship Strategies
- Rating Agency Presentation Techniques
- Effective Ratings Issues Management
- Segmentation and Demographic Analyses
- SWOTM Analysis
- Business Model Projection Testing
- Information Gaps
- Online and Telephonic Surveys
- Finance Excellence
- Customer Experience Assessment
- Regulatory Issues
Benchmarking & Perception Audits
- Performance Benchmarks
- Relevant Quantitative and Qualitative Benchmarks
- Benchmark Implementation
- Best Practices Analysis
- Perception Audits
- Pricing and Residuals
- Asset Management
- Customer Experience
- Pricing Effectiveness Diagnostic
- Pricing Strategies
- Pricing Improvements from Strategic to Quick Fixes
- Pricing Upside Opportunities
- Pricing and Margin Management
- Risk Effectiveness
- Risk Analytics
- Portfolio and Performance Management
- Basel III and IV Issues
- Risk Mitigation Strategies
- Business Analytics and Management Reporting
- Organization Effectiveness and Efficiency
- Process and Productivity Improvement
- Business Model Transformation and Operations Strategies
- Business Process Design
- Talent Capabilities